Sorry – haven’t pulled these posts from the old website yet…
Sorry, haven’t pulled these posts from the old website yet…
Tuesday evening, April 17, 5-6:30
BBQ meatballs, cheesy potatoes, green beans, applesauce, dessert, beverages.
Tuesday evening, April 17, 5-6:30 BBQ meatballs, cheesy potatoes, green beans, applesauce, dessert, beverages.
Ecclesiastes Intro Answers
- What verse tell us Solomon is the most likely author? Hint: You’ll find this very early in the book. What other canonical books were penned by the author?
- Proverbs, Song of Solomon
- How many chapters are in Ecclesiastes?
- The Old Testament books are classified into five categories: pentateuch, history, poetry/wisdom, major prophets, and minor prophets. In which classification does Ecclesiastes belong?
- According to 2:3, what substance abuse did Solomon experiment with?
- According to 5:12
- Who sleeps well?
- Working man
- Who has trouble sleeping?
- Rich man
- Who sleeps well?
- In the KJV translation of Ecclesiastes, how many times did the author use the word “vanity”?
- By what title does the author refer to himself in the KJV? in the NIV? Hint: He does this three times in chapter 1, once in chapter 7, and three times in chapter 12.
- Did Pete Seeger ever read Ecclesiastes? How do we know?
- He wrote “Turn, Turn, Turn” using 3:1-8.
- What depressing theme in 4:1-3 does the author share with a song title from Elton John’s album “Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy”?
- Better Off Dead
- What insect is mentioned in 10:1?
- Where was the author looking for contentment? Hint: He used this three-word term 27 times and it is translated identically in the KJV and NIV.
- Under the sun
- Verse 1:8 speaks of the insatiability of what parts of the body?
- Eyes and ears
- What do verses 4:9-12 tell us?
- Together we stronger. <<<<<<
- Wisdom is futile.
- God is in control.
- Enjoy life now.
- How does the author advise us to respond to a foolish ruler in 10:4?
- Stay composed
- What advice does the author give us in 11:7-9?
- What advice does the author give us in 12:1?
- Remember your creator
Ecclesiastes Intro Answers Otterbein FaithKeepers Winter/Spring 2016 What verse tell us Solomon is the most likely author? Hint: You’ll find this very …
Some say that the Commissioning and Ordination Service on Tuesday evening is the high point of the conference. This was the first one that we’ve attended and we found have to agree. The folks that were honored with new stoles and titles have all spent many years in service and study to get this far. Our own Sheryl Seitz was commissioned during the service. You’ll see her in the second row of one of the pictures – I tagged her with a red circle.
Sheryl and her husband Tim were part of our Otterbein family for many years until they left to begin her full-time student/ministry several years ago. She was just appointed to her third charge at Clyde UMC. We’re all very proud of her.
Bishop Hopkins shared an object lesson on “improvising” this morning. His point was that we are very often presented with an “opportunity” outside of our comfort zone that requires us to make the best with what we have. You have to hand it to a beginning guitarist willing to get up in front of 1500 folks and risk a little embarrassment to make a valuable point.
The New London Praise Band led our morning worship music on Tuesday. Speaker Barbara Boigegrain, General Secretary and CEO of the General Board of Health and Pension Benefits (how’s that for a title!?), gave her testimony during the service. It’s great to hear the heart of those administering the “business” of our church.